favorite recipes

It's fresh vegetables from the farmers stand and CSA season! There's so much color and texture on my dinner table. I have a few new recipes for you this month. As per usual, the photos belong to the respective bloggers as identified below each image.

How Sweet It Is: Panzanella with Marinated Chickpeas and Chimichurri
This was delicious, but I didn't plan ahead for all the chimichurri I'd have leftover. Next time I'll half the chimichurri unless I have another plan for it.
image: How Sweet It Is

Simply Scratch: Chicken Tawook Salad with Lemon Sumac Dressing
Here's another one of those salads where there are three recipe posts to make it, but it's really more easy than three separate blog posts might imply! But you will need some more of that (hard-to-find) sumac spice.
image: Simply Scratch

Simply Scratch: Shish Tawook (Lebanese Marinated Chicken Skewers)
Again, you need sumac. You'd better just buy five ounces because you'll want to make these again (along with those Za'atar chicken thighs).
image: Simply Scratch

Simply Scratch: Lebanese Garlic Sauce (Toum)
This will keep the vampires away. I halved the recipe, and I still have a jar in the freezer. It's potent, but I like it with the salad!
image: Simply Scratch

How Sweet It Is: Honey Chipotle Chicken Pizza with Goat Cheese
Everybody enjoyed this dinner. Lydia said it was a little spicy, but she kept eating it.
image: How Sweet It Is

Simply Scratch: Homemade Garam Masala
I ran out of garam masala while I was making dinner the other night, and this recipe saved me.
image: Simply Scratch

It's almost tomato season, so I'm pretty excited to eat all the tomato recipes I found last summer (along with our tried and true summer staple: the BLT!)!

Comments

  1. Hey Danielle,
    This is Aaron's cousin Jenna. From time to time I visit the blog and catch your recipes :) (And I must say, my favorite part is enjoying the pictures at Branchwood Park. I grew up half mile down the road and have many fond memories of that place. Just wait until someone gets the guts to cross the dam on foot. It was a big accomplishment in our day! :) ) Anyway, I was wondering if the girls often eat the recipes that have different flavors. I always have trouble getting my boys to try new flavors and I often just resort back to basics (of which I'm getting tired). So....any suggestions? Let me know. Thanks!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey Jenna! I remember summer field hockey in your yard! hah! as to your question: my kids eat all the recipes I post. they don't like all of them, but they do like most of them - hence why I share them! in our house, generally, if you don't eat your dinner, you go to bed. Anna (3) and Jesse (2) are in the thick of that fight, but Lydia (6) and Heidi (5) are now at the point where they always eat their dinner, even if they don't like it. That being said, we do not plop massive piles on their plates, and I don't force feed or want to make food a battle. And sometimes - especially with toddlers - teething and growing affect their eating habits. So the going to bed thing is not a hard fast gauntlet: we use it with our best discretion, so sometimes we fail miserably. I also do not knowingly make a week full of meals they hate. I try to balance out favorites with new stuff within the course of a week. Or even a favorite side (applesauce, edamame, black beans) alongside a new meal. If something is really too spicy, a dipping side of sour cream will solve most of our problems. (My kids would eat sour cream by the spoonful if I would let them.) We tell them they don't have to like everything, and they can tell us what they don't like - but only once during the meal. We encourage them to try new things because people eat differently all over the world, even their friends from school. I think persistence, consistency, and modeling are all good strategies for fostering adventurous eating habits, but it can be very exhausting. And after all of that, a dinner of a bowl of cereal is my kids' favorite anyway. =)

      Delete

Post a Comment