pumpkin chocolate chip muffin

Once upon a time, in 2009, my mother-in-law introduced me to the best pumpkin chocolate chip muffin. It hails from a local bakery she discovered on her way to/from church. I cannot remember if she gave me one of these muffins before Lydia was born or if the first one I tasted was the one she gave me when visiting us at the hospital after Lydia's birth. Either way, these muffins are sort of tied together in my mind to the smell of a newborn as she brought one to me for each newborn hospital visit. I remember being surprised the bakery still made them in May. (I think they were not available for Anna (April) or Jesse (July), but I can't remember which one. I digress.)

I love to bake, but I have been unable to replicate the texture of this muffin. So I have stopped trying to compete: this muffin is the best.

Now that we live closer to this bakery, I thought I'd share a muffin with the kids during our errands last Tuesday. We accomplished the first stop quickly, and we headed to the bakery. We parked the van and tumbled out of the car, walking up the sidewalk to the front of the building where we were greeted with a "closed" sign. Apparently this bakery isn't open on Monday OR Tuesday. Fail. So we climbed back into the van and went to the playground without our muffin.

On Thursday, our errands brought us back to the bakery's neighborhood, so we tried again. We parked along the street - confirming it was open before tumbling out of the van. The delicious smell of fresh-baked bread welcomed us into the bakery on this unusually warm fall day. But to our surprise and dismay, we found no pumpkin chocolate chip muffins.

"We don't make pumpkin chocolate chip muffins on Thursdays."

Fail.

So we shared a baguette instead. And I quit. I texted my mother-in-law to inform her that I was incapable of acquiring these muffins myself. I would forever rely on her supplying them to me on special occasions.

On Saturday, when we showed up at the door of Pop-Pop's and Nana's to trick-or-treat, she handed me a box. Inside I found half a dozen of these beauties.



!!!!!!

Thank you, Nana, for loving me (us) with these muffins.

Comments