favorite recipes

It's the end of the month, so, perhaps, by now, you may know the drill. Here are some recipes we have enjoyed around here, but most of this month's are in our "oldies but goodies" category. I struck out a lot with new recipes this month (and also rarely cooked thanks to the generous hosts of the house with the pool (hi, Mom and Dad!). As per the usual disclaimer: the images belong to the original blogger of the recipe as noted below each image.

Simply Scratch (via Tablespoon): Sloppy Josephs
I made these for some men - Aaron and Matt - when Matt came into town last spring. Sloppy joes with bacon and eggs and avocado on top. They were a hit.
image: Simply Scratch

Pioneer Woman/Pastor Ryan: Chicken Tikka Masala
This is scrumptious. It's not exactly authentic based on its ingredient list, but it's still delicious. Don't forget the naan!
image: Pioneer Woman/Pastor Ryan

Pinch of Yum: Easy Mexican Chicken Quinoa Casserole
I made this on one of those rare cool days where I could turn on the oven without sweating. I used shredded chicken from a rotisserie chicken instead of raw chicken breasts. We ate this with tortilla chips, and chips at dinner is always a win for the girls.
image: Pinch of Yum

Allrecipes.com: Becky's Chicken Salad
We've been making this one for years with our three modifications: omit the grapes, only 1/2 cup celery: finely minced/chopped, only 1/2 cup mayonnaise.

Allrecipes.com: African Chicken Stew
This recipe is very tan and blah looking, but it's quite tasty. We serve it over rice.

I found this one when attempting to use up refrigerator contents back in 2009 when we moved from Nashville to Philadelphia, and it is still one of our favorites. We cut the sausage and pasta to 1/2 pound because we like the dish saucier as opposed to drier.

Pecan-Crusted Chicken
I cut this one out of a magazine back when Aaron and I were first married. It's very flexible: put it on a salad or a sandwich, eat it alone with fancy (or not) side dishes. Despite my attempts to find this recipe via googling, I cannot. So here it is as I have it, (but I usually half it for one pound of chicken):
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
2 TBS sesame seeds
1 1/2 tsp parika
1 1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
2 TBS canola oil
Place milk in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine the flour, pecans, sesame seeds, paprika, pepper and salt. Dip chicken in milk, then coat in flour mixture.
In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil on both sides. Transfer to baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until juices run clear.

Allrecipes.com: Hot Mexican Bean Dip
My cousin's wife, Ashley, gave me this recipe on a recipe card at my bridal shower, but hers didn't list the jalapeno. I may have to try that one. It's slightly addictive. Don't forget the bag of tortilla chips for dipping.

the Ktchn: Peanut Butter and Graham Cracker Pudding Pops
I made these with the girls. We only had trouble getting the graham crackers to stick on the outside.
image: the Ktchn

The girls love these, especially for birthday celebrations.
image: Simply Scratch

I made these for Lisa's "ready to pop" shower back in 2013, and I just remembered them. When it's cool enough to turn the oven on again, I need to make these.
image: Joy the Baker

Comments