living at the mercy of the telephone

I am a little bit stuck on these words from C. S. Lewis in Prince Caspian, as spoken by Edmund Pevensie reflecting on the magic of Susan's horn. "Golly! It's a bit uncomfortable to know that we can be whistled for like that. It's worse than what Father says about living at the mercy of the telephone."

So true! What would Mr. Pevensie think about smart phones? Text messaging? Twitter?

I have a love-hate relationship with my phone and all of its social media capabilities. I capture everyday moments of life with my four kids with the camera and video features. I stream Pandora for a spontaneous dance party to the television with Google Chromecast. I pull up new recipes in the kitchen with my Feedly app. We chat face-to-face when real life isn't possible with FaceTime. But way too often a text message or phone call interrupts a game of UNO or coloring or building cup towers. I try to leave my phone on top of the refrigerator or in another room whenever I remember to make the effort. Most recently I deleted the Facebook app off my phone.

What does it look like to live a more intentional, less distracted life? What does it look like to best utilize this amazing resource at my fingertips without it running (controlling? ruining?) my life?


No answers. Just questions. Always so many questions . . .

Comments