favorite recipes

Based on feedback from texts and emails, my friends enjoyed my recipe sharing. Yay! So here's a rundown of some favorites from February.

As before, the (beautiful) images belong to the original blogger of the recipe, as noted below each image.

Pinch of Yum: Crispy Fish Tacos with Jalapeno Sauce
How can one go wrong with beer battered fish? =) I used tilapia instead of cod because that's what I had. The jalapeno sauce is delicious, not spicy. Served with a side of black beans (one can black beans + 1/2 tsp cumin + 1/2 tsp chili powder: simmered and smushed) and the girls' plates are clean within minutes.
image: Pinch of Yum

The Girl Who Ate Everything: Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Ritz Bars
The girls helped me make these, and we all enjoyed them.
image: The Girl Who Ate Everything

Foodie With Family: English Muffin Bread
I originally saw this one featured on the Tasty Kitchen Blog, but the original post gives the "half-size" recipe (which still makes two loaves so I freeze one for later use). And, as the recipe creator advises and emphasizes, absolutely fry each slice in butter before topping it with whatever deliciousness you see fit. (Homemade jam is always a solid option.)
image: Food With Family

from my friend, Zoe: Chicken Curry Salad
When Anna was born, Zoe jumped out of a cab in front of my house to deliver this delicious dinner. She included these amazing English Muffin rolls from some local spot in the city. So when I later attempted to make her chicken curry salad, I searched for an English Muffin recipe and stumbled upon the English Muffin Bread. So while you're waiting for your bread to rise, mix up this chicken salad. It's delicious (and very yellow!)!
2 chicken breasts, cooked and diced (or shredded)
2 medium scallions, diced
2 stalks celery, diced/minced (or use celery salt like Zoe does)
3/4 cup mayonnaise (Zoe says to use Hellman's)
6 TBS golden raisins
2 TBS cilantro
1 TBS honey
2 tsp curry powder
salt and pepper, to taste
Mix all ingredients together. Serve on your favorite bread or salad greens or whatever you desire!

Simply Scratch: Chipotle Chicken Fajita Rice Bowl
This one isn't new; I've been making it since she posted it in 2013. I've made it a lot. I'm making it tonight. It's so delicious. Omit the chicken for your vegetarian friends, and it's still delicious.
image: Simply Scratch

Simply Healthy Homemade: Pennsylvania Dutch Fasnachts
I'm not sure about the "simply healthy" part, but "homemade" - yes. I made fasnachts for the first time on on Fat Tuesday. This recipe was perfect. Next time I may cut them smaller. I fried them in bacon grease and tossed them in spiced nutmeg sugar (1/2 cup sugar + 2 tsp cinnamon + 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg (1/2 tsp ground nutmeg)). I think the spiced nutmeg sugar put them over the top.
image: mine

What Gaby's Cooking: Cowboy Caviar Quinoa
I just made over easy eggs because runny yolk is yummy (contrary to the first twenty years of my life when I hated runny eggs). I don't know that I've actually ever even poached an egg myself.
image: What Gaby's Cooking

Simply Scratch: Mexican Spiced Hot Cocoa + Homemade Cinnamon Whipped Cream
I really love hot chocolate. I really live spicy drinks. So spicy hot chocolate? Sold. It's also the creamiest thing ever - probably too much dairy in one serving. . . but worth it. 
image: Simply Scratch

This satisfies my love for spicy drinks. I also love grapefruit. And who doesn't love a margarita?
image: Eat, Live, Run

Simply Scratch: Breakfast Polenta Bowls
Breakfast for dinner. (After consulting the internet, I used white grits because I didn't have polenta. Next time I'll try it with polenta. It was still delicious with the grits.)
image: Simply Scratch

Simply Scratch:  Fudgy Peanut Butter Bars
Because chocolate and peanut butter desserts get me hook line and sinker. Every time.
image: Simply Scratch

If you only try one recipe from this list, I'd have to say to do that first one. The jalepeno sauce is so delicious. Seriously. YUM.

Comments