an MLK Day celebration, of sorts

On Monday, we celebrated Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. Some friends from Nashville annually travel to Lookout Mountain in Chattanooga, Tennessee on MLK Day where they read King's famous "I have a dream" speech. (Below is a video about their excursion.)


I've wanted to do something similar, but MLK Day snuck up on me this year. So my plans went from us and some friends to just us (plus Nonna).

When Jesse and Anna went down for naps, I watched the end of the "I have a dream" speech with Lydia and Heidi. (Thank you, YouTube.) We talked about the gospel and how we are beautiful because God loves us, how God looks at our hearts - not outward appearances (I Samuel 16:7), and how we are all one body in Christ (Colossians 3:11-17). We talked about how Martin Luther King, Jr. wanted these things to be true for his children, and we still want those things to be true for us today. 

And then, after naps, we set off on our adventure to a park. We attempted to find an overlook, but we sort of failed in that department. So instead, we perched in this tree (the one with that sideways branch), cowbells in hand, and shouted "let freedom ring" while ringing cowbells as I read the last few paragraphs of MLK's dream speech.


And then, of course, we played on a playground.





I hope we can create an annual tradition where we pause to remember the importance of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s words and realize the gospel truths present in them. In hearing them, may we also be reminded of our freedom and seek for those famous words to be true everyday for everyone. May we be living a life where those words ring true, and not just one day out of the year.

Let freedom ring!

Comments