This is My Father's World

While I was doing the dishes after dinner last night, I turned on the ihome, and Randall Goodgame's The Hymnal came on with This is My Father's World. It's one of my favorite hymns, but in light of Hurricane Sandy howling and carrying on outside my window, I giggled a little bit at the lyrics. "In the rustling grass I hear him pass; he speaks to me everywhere." It was just a little bit louder than rustling out there. =)

I'm thankful that this is his world, even when it's messy and broken and flooding and drowning. I love how Sally Lloyd-Jones writes about creation in The Jesus Storybook Bible.

When talking about the plagues in Egypt, she writes, "And after that, sickness; and horrible boils; and huge hailstones; and a storm of locusts; then darkness when it should have been day - until it seemed that the whole world, creation and everything, was coming undone, falling back into darkness. And emptiness. And nothingness."

Then she does it again when Jesus dies, "Even though it was midday, a dreadful darkness covered the face of the world. The sun could not shine. The earth trembled and quaked. The great mountains shook. Rocks split in two. Until it seemed that the whole world would break. That creation itself would tear apart . . . strange cloud and shadows filled the sky. Purple, orange, black. Like a bruise."

She then contrasts this beautifully when Jesus is risen, "And it seemed to her [Mary] that morning, as she ran, almost as if the whole world had been made anew, almost as if the whole world was singing for joy - the trees, tiny sounds in the grass, the birds . . . her heart.
Was God really making everything sad come untrue? Was he making even death come untrue?"

And when John writes the letter about his vision while in prison, she writes, "Everything was going to be more wonderful for once having been so sad. And he [John] knew then that the ending of The Story was going to be so great, it would make all the sadness and tears and everything seem like just a shadow that is chased away by the morning sun."

Anyway, I just love how Sally Lloyd-Jones captures the gospel in how she writes about creation, which I didn't really capture here. You should just be reading the Jesus Storybook Bible on your own in its entirety to fully grasp it. =)

And just because I also love this hymn, here are the lyrics. You can listen to part of Randall's version of it here. It's my favorite.

- - -

This is my Father's World,
and to my listening ears
all nature sings, and 'round me rings
the music of the spheres
This is my Father's World:
I rest me in the thought
of rocks and trees, of skies and seas;
his hand the wonders wrought

This is my Father's world
the birds their carols raise,
the morning light, the lily white
declare their makers praise.
This is my Father's world:
he shines in all that's fair;
in the rustling grass I hear him pass;
he speaks to me everywhere

The is my Father's world.
O let me ne'er forget
that though the wrong seems oft so strong
God is the ruler yet.
This is my Father's world:
why should my heart be sad?
The Lord is King; let the heavens ring!
God reigns; let the earth be glad!


Comments