his story - not mine

Abraham lied about Sarah being his sister when she was, in fact, his wife (Genesis 20:2).
Isaac (Abraham's son) lied about Rebekah being his sister when she was, in fact, his wife (Genesis 26:7).

Sarah grew impatient with her inability to have children and insisted her husband, Abraham, sleep with her servant to give her a baby (Genesis 16:2).
Rachel grew impatient with her inability to have children and insisted her husband, Jacob (Abraham's grandson), sleep with her servant to give her a baby (Genesis 30:1-8).
Leah grew impatient with her inability to have more (she already had four) children and insisted her husband, Jacob (Abraham's grandson), sleep with her servant to give her a baby (Genesis 30:9-13).

I'll come back to this in one second.

The other day, I received an email update form my college friend who currently resides in Sudan where he teaches at a Sudanese school. In his update he wrote, "This may seem overly simple, but the idea is so profound and so deep. God has been challenging me recently that life and faith and love and prayer and the BIble and missions and church and everything is not about us (me) but about Him."

It is not about me. Thank goodness!

God still used Abraham, Sarah, Isaac, Rebekah, Jacob, Leah, Rachel to tell his story. They were messy, sinful people, but God used their broken stories to write his beautiful story - even when they repeated the same, exact, stupid mistakes of their parents.

How exciting and humbling that God chooses to use me in my brokenness and sinfulness and messiness and stupidness to tell the beautiful story of his grace and mercy - the gospel!

- - -

Since I can't find a picture to correlate with my post, here's an "old" one. Remember when Lydia was this little?

Comments